Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Reading Aloud

Chapter 13 in The Joys of Literature is called "Reading to and with Children: Reading Aloud, Shared and Guided Reading and Writing."  One section in the chapter is all about reading aloud to children.  Reading aloud is a memory that children carry with them for years.  It builds an enthusiasm for reading in the children.  I love reading aloud to students as well as having others read to me.  When I was an elementary student my favorite part of the day was when my teachers would read aloud to the class.  I especially loved being read chapter books.  It was always so exciting wondering what was going to happen in the book the next day.

 The chapter focuses on when and what to read aloud to students.  The Joys of Literature states that it "depends on students' strengths and needs and curricular goals."  There should also be a time of day to read aloud just for fun.  When deciding what to read aloud, it is important to read a range of different books according to the developmental needs of students. It is also important to choose books that will interest students.

Some of the benefits of reading aloud:
  • increased motivation for reading
  • vocabulary development
  • reading comprehension
  • literacy understanding

This is a picture of a read aloud I did in a 1st grade classroom last year.  I read Today I Feel Silly by Jamie Lee Curtis.  After reading, we did an activity about times when the students felt different ways.




Reference: 
Johnson, Denise. The Joy of Children's Literature. Second Edition ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning, 2012. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment