Thursday, June 14, 2012

Gary Paulsen Author Study

For my Author Study assignment, I chose Gary Paulsen.  Hatchet by Gary Paulsen was one of my favorite books that I read in elementary school.  From my author study, I learned that Paulsen writes fiction novels based on facts from his own life.  The Brian Saga is based on his wilderness experiences.  This series of books is based around a boy named Brian who survives through many experiences and adventures in the wild.  One of the most interesting books that I came across is called My Life in Dog Years.  Paulsen writes about nine dogs in his life and the memories that they shared together.  Every chapter is about a different dog that was special to him.  

Gary Paulsen did not live a luxurious life as a child.   His parents were neglectful and worked most of the time.  His childhood was difficult and he felt alone much of the time.  This all changed one winter day.  While walking home from school, Paulsen walked passed the public library.  He thought the library looked warm, so he walked inside.  Once inside, the librarian gave him a book to read.  For once, Paulsen felt welcome.  He found comfort and acceptance in the library.  This sparked his love of reading.  In his book Shelf Life: Stories by the Book, he states that books saved his life.  He says that he considers “every good thing that has ever happened to me since then a result of that woman handing me that book.”

I encourage everyone to read more about Gary Paulsen and some of the exciting and wonderful books that he has written.  I have provided a few links to websites about Paulsen on the right sidebar.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment