Sunday, May 27, 2012

READ THIS BOOK

Out of My Mind      I recently read Out of my Mind by Sharon M. Draper.  It's definitely on my list of favorite books now! I seriously could not put this book down.  I read this book for my annotated bibliography because it won the Sunshine State Young Readers Award.  I had no idea I would love it so much.  It is a powerful story told from the point of view of a young girl diagnosed with cerebral palsy.  She cannot talk or walk, but she is very smart.  The story tells of what she is thinking and all the things she wish she could say.  This book had me laughing and almost crying at some parts.  I do not know much about cerebral palsy and this story opened my eyes to the hardships that students with disabilities go through on a daily basis.  However, the book is not written to make the reader feel sorry for the girl in the book.  It is more about making readers aware that students with disabilities do not want sympathy.  They simply want to be treated like so called "normal" students.  I don't want to give too many details as to give the whole story away, but I HIGHLY recommend this book!  I think it would be a useful tool in the classroom as well.  It would teach students to not be scared of students with disabilities, but to accept them.


Image Resource: www.barnesandnoble.com


No comments:

Post a Comment