Sunday, June 24, 2012

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key 
One of my annotated bibliography books that I recently read was Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key by Jack Gantos.  I am impartial to the book.  Joey Pigza has ADHD and has been living with his Grandmother who also has a form of ADHD.  He can't sit still in school, and he definitely can't pay attention.  One day, his mother comes back into his life.  She tries her best to find him the right help so that he can behave and pay attention in school and at home.  I didn't hate this book, but I didn't absolutely love it either.  It made me sad to read.  No one seemed to understand Joey Pigza.  No one seemed to understand that it wasn't all his fault that he acted the way he did.  It especially made me sad to read about how terribly his grandmother treated him.  The book also seemed to show those with ADHD in a negative way.  If i used Joey Pigza books in the classroom I would definitely make sure to first explain ADHD and people with ADHD to my students thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment